Prompted by three professors (János Hankiss, Rezső Milleker, and Béla Tankó), the Council of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Debrecen resolved to found Debrecen Summer School on May 9, 1927. Their purpose with the new institution was to popularize Hungarian as the language of a “small” nation in a world in which, as Hankiss put it, “nations are so intertwined that it would be a hopeless and harmful endeavor to pick out certain thicker lines, single national threads, to the detriment of the whole fabric.” To quote Professor Hankiss again, getting to know the long-suffering Central Europe with any degree of depth “may as well start with getting to know Hungary… given that the history and cultural life of Hungary incorporate a large part of the nations and values of Europe along the Danube River.”
Eighty years later, on June 23, 2007, the Association of Hungarian Heritage and Europe declared in the great assembly hall of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences that “Debrecen Summer School’s service to preserve the Hungarian language” makes it worthy of receiving the Hungarian Heritage Award. The same year the 80-year-old institution was awarded the Pro Urbe Award of the city of Debrecen. Is this a Hungarian success story? One from Debrecen? Probably more than either of them. It is a Debrecen initiative launched in the spirit of university integration and internationality. In the past nine decades, DSS has grown to assume nearly world-wide status and shown examples of good practice to several similar ventures. At the same time, it has gone to great lengths to remain a torchbearer of the Hungarian language and culture both inside and outside the present-day borders.
The school was founded in 1924 by Joseph Belačik as a primary school. At that time Milan Hodža was the Minister of Education. The school was built in 1927 and it was designed by the architect Alois Pinkas from Bratislava. Today this historical building gives home to the Bilingual High School of Milan Hodža. The school opened its doors to pupils as a primary school in 1928, on the 10th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia (a joint state of Czechs and Slovaks.) The history of the grammar school began on September 1. 1991. as a bilingual grammar school. This was the first bilingual (English-Slovak) grammar school in the country and at that time it ran under the name Bilingual English-Slovak Grammar School. In 2002 the school was awarded for it excellent results and by today its official name is Bilingual High School of Milan Hodža. In a short period of its existence, the grammar school has established itself among schools providing stable quality of education for pupils from all over Slovakia. The results of the school-leaving examinations prove the same, that the Bilingual High School of Milan Hodža is one of the best grammar schools in the country. The school enjoys high interest among pupils who want to continue their study there, which is proved by their numbers. The number of candidates is almost five times more than how many the school could accept.
The PRIGO Gymnasium is a secondary school which opened in 1993 as the first non-state school in the Ostrava region. It is currently providing its services in Ostrava – Mariánské Hory, Frýdek-Místek and Frýdlant n. O. This year, the school has already successfully entered the 22st year of its existence. It offers education in an eight-year, six-year and four-year gymnasium. The focus is on very good students interested in a general gymnasium-style education with extended teaching of natural sciences and related disciplines. It is also a school with a strong emphasis on language training in English, Spanish, or German, incl. teaching by native speakers and participation of foreign students in school and extracurricular activities.
The eight-year, six-year and four-year gymnasia focus on pupils and students who most typically want to continue studying at a university with a focus on natural sciences. Currently, students can focus on two basic specialisations, as given by the selection of elective courses, seminars and leisure activities. That involves, in particular, specialisation in medical, veterinary or pharmaceutical field, or specialisation for students aspiring to study at natural scientific, technical or top economic faculties.
Despite the above specialisations, education is provided in accordance with the Framework Educational Programme for Gymnasiums, and our graduates therefore receive a general education, an education in humanities and culture, but with high natural science and language competence. They are students with a broad general knowledge who will excel in the Maturita examination and become successful in further studies at prestigious universities in the Czech Republic and very often even abroad.
Its classrooms and laboratories have been provided with modern equipment. Computer and multimedia technology is thus an essential part of everyday teaching. Those who enter for the school year 2015/2016 do not have to pay any school fees. Moreover, thanks to the participation of the aforementioned strategic partner, the school provides each student with a scholarship throughout their period of study.
Zespół Szkół in Gogołowa is a small country school. It is situated in Mszana Council. This is a School Complex that consists of Junior High School and Grammar School. Our students are 14-18 years old. Some of our younger classes are sport classes; the Grammar School’s students belong to military classes. Our school is a peaceful place. Students and teachers know each other very well. Moreover, they are really respectful. The students in our school are keen on integrating. There are several trips, for example going on camps, skating or skiing. Not only the physical aspects of the students’ education are essential to us, but also the students’ emotional side has a great importance. Therefore, we often go to theatre and cinema. We take care of the culture and tradition of our beautiful country – Poland. We eagerly participate in international projects. Our school acts on some basic rules. These are the patriotism, tolerance, responsiveness and friendship.
Fazekas Mihály Gimnázium (in English: Mihály Fazekas High School; also known among alumni as simply Fazekas) is a high school in Debrecen, Hungary.
Its original institution, the Debrecen szabad királyi város Főreáltanodája was opened on November 3, 1873. At that time it was a boys only school, its main topics were modern languages, mathematics and natural sciences. Its building was designed by Károly Meixner and was started in 1891 and in 1893 its gates opened for the students.
The name “Fazekas Mihály” was adopted in 1922, and it became a high school in 1934, when the education system was standardised. Since then the institution showed strong results in real science education.
Between 1956 and 1961 the school lost many of its status as being training school for the Debrecen University and became more polytechnics style. In 1961 the system was changed back to the old system, including educating teachers, special maths and foreign languages, and the school became co-educated as it was opened for girl students, too.
Since 2000 the high school started unique dual-language classes in Hungarian-Spanish and Hungarian-French languages.